top of page
og1.png

lg02

Football, Bowls, Tennis

Eden Colliery Welfare Ground

54.858042, -1.805711

Leadgate

Opened:

1890s

Closed:

Open

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

25 Aug 2022

Consett AFC (1948 - 1950), Eden Colliery Welfare, Leadgate Park

HER Description

NEHL - The Eden Colliery Welfare Ground was first established in the 1890s as the home for Leadgate Park, the rivals to Leadgate Exiles whose home ground was over the road from Eden Colliery to the east. Leadgate Exiles played here until the 1920s, when the ground was taken over by Eden Colliery Welfare FC.

In 1929 they joined the Northern League, then Division Two in 1931 and were champions in the 32-33 season. In the 36-37 season they resigned from the North Eastern League and their record expunged.

Meanwhile, other football tournaments were played at the ground. The English Schools Shield was played here between Blyth Boys and the Derwent Valley Boys in March 1937.

Inactivity during wartime leads to 1948 - A newspaper article from December 1948 shows Consett AFC using the ground after being dismissed from their home site at Vicarage Field as the Steelworks expanded. They played on the ground for two years from 1948 until a permanent residence was found and built. Consett AFC at this time were in the N.E.L, playing against such teams as Blyth Spartans.

The ground is still used for recreational sport.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page