Leadgate, Football Ground
1 Aug 2022
Leadgate Exiles, a Roman Catholic team and one of two in the village of Leadgate (the others being Leadgate Park), played at a ground over the road from St. Mary & St. Joseph's Chapel in the 1880s and 90s. The facilities were extremely basic and was likely just a marked field (though even this came into disrepute - contemporary newspapers suggests there were often complaints at the lack of markings leading to relocated matches).
Much of the team consisted from a sizeable Irish population, likely thanks to the collieries that lay nearby. They played in the Northern Combination League in 1897 alongside a number of extensive population centres south of the Tyne. At the end of this season they left the Northern League and presumably disbanded.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by