top of page
og1.png

kel02

Football

Garmondsway Ground

54.718934, -1.453494

Kelloe

Opened:

1880s

Closed:

1930s

Reclaimed

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

15 Nov 2022

Raisby Rangers

HER Description

NEHL - Raisby Rangers played at this isolated ground at Raisby between around 1887 and the 1930s. It's first seen in the middle of a field on the 1890s Ordnance Survey maps, with a small shed and laid out ground. There is no footpath to the ground, so winter days must have been brutal. The ground survives through to the 1920s maps and disappears by the 1940s.

Contemporary newspaper articles suggest it was called the "Garmondsway ground", utilised by Rainsby Rangers who played other County Durham villages and towns like Bishop Middleham and Station Town.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page