top of page
og1.png

hew03

Cricket

Heworth, Cricket Ground

54.950320, -1.549975

Heworth

Opened:

1939

Closed:

1945

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

13 Mar 2023

Heworth CC (1939 - 1945)

HER Description

NEHL - Heworth CC temporarily played on this ground after moving from the adjacent field as the cemetery was expanded.

The club were formed in 1919 and originally known as Heworth St George's Brotherhood CC, playing in a field adjacent to St Marys Church. After playing friendlies, they joined the Tyne and District Cricket League and later the North Durham Senior League. They played at the Church ground until the eve of WWII when they were forced to leave as the ground was to be used as a cemetery. In wartime, the club played at a field adjoining the old one. The War Agricultural Committee required the ground for grazing purposes and were unable to buy the ground. As a result, for a couple of years all their games were played away from home until this ground was sought.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page