St Marys, Cricket Ground
16 Mar 2023
Heworth St George's Brotherhood CC (1919), Heworth CC
NEHL - This was the home of Heworth St George's Brotherhood CC, the forerunner of Heworth CC and Felling CC, from their inception in 1919 until the eve of the Second World War.
The club were formed in 1919 and originally known as Heworth St George's Brotherhood CC, playing in a field adjacent to St Marys Church. After playing friendlies, they joined the Tyne and District Cricket League and later the North Durham Senior League. They played at the Church ground until the eve of WWII when they were forced to leave as the ground was to be used as a cemetery. In wartime, the club played at a field adjoining the old one. The War Agricultural Committee required the ground for grazing purposes and were unable to buy the ground. As a result, for a couple of years all their games were played away from home until Chilside Road was sought.
The 1930s Ordnance Survey shows the field with the pavilion.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by