Chilside Road, Cricket Ground
13 Mar 2023
Heworth Cricket Club (1950)
NEHL - A contemporary newspaper piece from May 1950 details the move of Heworth Cricket Ground to a new home at Chilside Road in the same month of that year.
The club were formed in 1919 and originally known as Heworth St George's Brotherhood CC, playing in a field adjacent to St Marys Church. After playing friendlies, they joined the Tyne and District Cricket League and later the North Durham Senior League. They played at the Church ground until the eve of WWII when they were forced to leave as the ground was to be used as a cemetery. In wartime, the club played at a field adjoining the old one. The War Agricultural Committee required the ground for grazing purposes and were unable to buy the ground. As a result, for a couple of years all their games were played away from home until this ground was sought.
The ground was secured for £300, with the same sum spent in levelling the turf and providing a dressing room. Apart from field levelling, all the work was completed by members of the club. The club were later renamed Felling CC and moved to The Drive.
The ground has since been redeveloped for housing.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by