top of page
og1.png

hebb02

Football

Prince Consort Road, Football Ground

54.976893, -1.524221

Hebburn

Opened:

1882

Closed:

1888

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

13 Apr 2023

Hebburn Argyle (1882-1888)

HER Description

NEHL - From its inception, Hebburn Argyle casually played on a field adjacent to the Catholic Church on Argyle Street. This is likely to be the open space close to the Tennant's Works in Hebburn.

The team were a group of catholics popularly known as the "Irish Highlanders", likely part of the Irish diaspora which moved to South Tyneside to work in the pits and shipyards. They were originally known as St Aloysius Juniors after the church on Prince Consort Road. There were no leagues at this time, so the team played consistent friendlies until they moved slightly west and joined the Northern Alliance in the 1890s.

The ground was not a formal one as we know it today. It was likely just maintained with informal markings and goal posts.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page