top of page
og1.png

ha11

Tennis, Bowls

Ward Jackson Park

54.684378, -1.240335

Hartlepool

Opened:

1883

Closed:

Open

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

13 Jul 2023

HER Description

NEHL - The Ward Jackson Park was opening in 1883 in memory of Ralph Ward Jackson, the main actor for the growth of West Hartlepool and effectively its "founder". It was built with public subscription, with 17 acres of land purchased from Mr Woolder of Sadberge Hall inc. 2 acres he donated himself.

The park features a lawn tennis ground, which was in situ by the 1890s. There is no mention of the bowling green during the opening, and is perhaps a later feature on the north side of the park. Tournaments have been held here, with the grass tennis courts open during the war from 1942 alongside model boating displays, donkey rides and bands to increase public spirit.

The tennis ground appears to have been replaced with a play park, though the bowling green remains in situ alongside its pavilion.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1897

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The bowling green in 1946. Source: Hartlepool Museums

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

An aerial shot of Ward Jackson Park including Park Drive Cricket Club in 1945. Source: Hartlepool Museums

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page