top of page
og1.png

ha09

Tennis, Quoits, Bowls

Grange Road, Lawn Tennis Ground

54.686550, -1.232075

Hartlepool

Opened:

1887

Closed:

Open

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

13 Jul 2023

HER Description

NEHL - A lawn tennis ground was opened on Grange Road in 1887. The site appears on the Ordnance Survey maps in a small rectangular enclosure with a clubhouse against the road with a footpath splitting the grounds down the centre. The clubhouse included dressings rooms for men and women, retiring rooms and a store room. A raised area at the north west corner indicates the site of one or two of the courts, with the embankment levelling one of them.

A piece on the 30th May 1887 in the Hartlepool Northern Daily Mail reports on the opening of the ground by Mr Robert Irvine. They were congratulated on the "beautiful site they had obtained", and had been constructed in a matter of weeks. The land was rented from a Mr Walker who charged a nominal price for the ground.

There were eight courts in total with room for a quoits ground and bowling green also.

A piece from the Northern Weekly Gazette of 4th July 1891 notes a lawn tennis tournament at this site, attacting the "elite of the two towns" (West and the Headland), however rain fell meaning play was suspended.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page