top of page
og1.png

ha03

Cricket

Stranton, Cricket Ground

54.679274, -1.207085

Hartlepool

Opened:

1854

Closed:

c1860s

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

18 May 2023

Hartlepool Albion CC (1854)

HER Description

NEHL - A cricket ground is shown on the plan of West Hartlepool of 1859 close to the Burn Brewery. This was the home ground of Hartlepool Albion Cricket Club, having obtained the land from a Mr W. Bolum, Esq. The club had already existed since at least 1849, having played a match against Seaton Carew.

It is cited in the Durham Chronicle of 19th May 1854 that it was cited near the Brunswick Brewery, with hopes that the "inhabitants of Hartlepool will assist with a willing hand the parties who have engaged in so laudable and praiseworth an under-taking. The piece then goes on to note cricketing as an innocent, health and exhilarating recreation for those "cooped up in towns during the summer months, and have to breathe air charged with dust and smoke".

Both the 1859 plan and the Ordnance Survey surveyed in 1857 show a small clubhouse on the western extremity of the ground, with a rectangular enclosure bordering the born which ran from the sea westerly past All Saints Church.

The site had been taken over by the Corporation Yard and Hartlepool Paper Works by the 1890s. It appears the Albion Cricket Club became defunct not long after the 1850s, as newspaper records dry up.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page