top of page
og1.png

gos04

Rugby

The New Ground, Gosforth

55.021142, -1.624550

Gosforth

Opened:

1955

Closed:

1990

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

2 Nov 2023

Gosforth RFC

HER Description

NEHL - In 1951, Gosforth RFC bought this land next to the Great North Road in efforts to make it their new home ground. Previously the club had played on the Northumberland County Ground where the greyhound stadium and Asda was later located.

Leslie Baty, the club chairman, laid the foundation stone at the ground. The president of the RFU Joe Brunton opened the "New Ground" and was to be home to Gosforth RFC for the next 35 years.

The ground can be seen on Ordnance Survey maps published in 1967. A pavilion was constructed on the north east corner with a small stand on the western end. The boundaries of the ground can still be seen around the housing development. It can also be seen in aerial imagery from 1958 next to the Gosforth Bohemian Ground and the Northern FC ground. The pavilion and stand can be easily identified.

Thanks to Andy McQuillen for giving a heads up with this ground. He's also provided a link to film footage of the ground's opening: https://www.yfanefa.com/record/23440

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1967

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The ground can be seen in the centre of the aerial shot. Source: Historic England Photograph: raf_58_2657_f22_0376 flown 30/12/1958

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page