top of page
og1.png

fer05

Cricket, Bowls, Tennis

Mainsforth, Cricket Ground

54.680035, -1.524933

Mainsforth, Ferryhill

Opened:

1900s

Closed:

Open

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

9 Mar 2023

Mainsforth CC

HER Description

NEHL - Mainsforth CC, formed by workers at the nearby Mainsforth Colliery, played their home matches in this field from around 1905 and continue to play here in the present day. The first mention in contemporary newspapers is in March 1906, advising the reserves team could not raise a team, with their withdrawal likely. As this is March, it is likely the team date from at least 1905 as a 1sts team is already well under way.

The ground illustrated on the Ordnance Survey maps from the 1910s with austere facilities. There was a pavilion in the north east corner of the ground facing the colliery. In later years 2 pavilions were constructed on the eastern end, with a bowling green and tennis ground also bedded in, presumably as a sporting ground for the miners of the colliery. The current bowling ground is in an alternative location at the south end, with the car park and facilities occupying the previous tennis ground and bowling green.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page