og1.png

ew01

Football

Stags Head Recreation Ground

54.771492, -1.706390

Esh Winning

Opened:

19th c

Closed:

20th c

Repurposed

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

28 Jul 2022

Esh Winning FC

HER Description

Thanks to Peter Laurence for submitting this entry.

The Stag's Head ground was opened in the 19th century to accomodate Esh Winning FC, which formed in 1889 and won the Northern League in 1913. This is an earlier iteration of the current club which formed in 1969. The ground appears to be modest in nature, with 1890s maps showing a small stand on its western end which remained through to the 1910s. It appears to be named after the Stag's Head Hotel which stood on Durham Road.

Peter advises the club played there until the local colliery closed, and later moved to Waterhouses.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png