top of page
og1.png

eth01

Cricket, Football, Tennis

Etherley Welfare Grounds

54.651603, -1.743277

Etherley

Opened:

1850 (?)

Closed:

Open

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

25 Mar 2024

Etherley CC

HER Description

NEHL - Etherley CC was established in 1850, with contemporary sources suggesting this has been used as their home ground since at least the 1890s. The site is now labelled as such until the 1930s, however a photograph shows the cricket ground used as pasture land in 1905 with what appears to be the Etherley Literary Institute behind.

By the 1940s the ground featured its own pavilion, and is noted as being part of a wider welfare ground. The welfare association had taken it over in the 1930s to install a football pitch and two tennis courts also. The football pitch is still in situ.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1947

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Etherley Cricket Ground with the Literary Institute in the background, 1905. Source: Etherley Parish Council

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page