top of page
og1.png

elsw01

Tennis

Clifton Road, Lawn Tennis Ground

54.970604, -1.646747

Elswick

Opened:

c1889

Closed:

1900s

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

15 Dec 2023

West End Lawn Tennis Club

HER Description

NEHL - A tennis ground was opened behind the villas of Clifton Road around 1889, when the West End Lawn Tennis Club first started appearing in local media. The ground was fairly sizeable, much bigger than a typical tennis ground of the time, and appears to have provision for changing facilities, urinals and spectator seats.

The West End Tennis Club are first listed in the April, and chaired by a WJ Dawson of a 69 Westmorland Road. Matches against local teams are reported on from June, firstly against Monkseaton accomodating a "large number of spectators". It nots the courts were in good condition, and the ladies of the home team provided tea for the visitors.

West End Tennis Club survived past the redevelopment of this tennis ground, which had disappeared by the 1910s for residential projects. There is no trace of the grounds.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page