top of page
og1.png

el03

Swimming

Eldon Swimming Baths

54.644803, -1.637593

Eldon

Opened:

1912

Closed:

1940s

Reclaimed

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

25 Oct 2022

HER Description

NEHL - An open air swimming pool was opened by Pease & Partners for the pitmen of South Durham Colliery in 1912. This was one of the facilities that were provided as well as the larger sports ground adjacent and tennis courts/bowling greens south of the village. Miners paid a subscription of one penny per week to use the facilities, but were closed and demolished in the 1940s with the onset of WWII.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1947. This was illustrated in 1939 when it was still open.

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Eldon Colliery Swimming Baths in the 1910s. Source: Telegraph & Argus

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Eldon Colliery pool - The pool was segregated, which is why this photograph shows all females. Unknown Source.

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page