Eldon Recreation Ground
25 Oct 2022
NEHL - Tennis courts, bowling green, recreation ground and a childrens playground were all constructed by Pease & Partners on this site around the 1920s, alongside a swimming baths and sports ground on Main Road. The owners of South Durham Colliery had provided respite and leisure facilities for their workers, so this site was only really open as long as the pit. Miners paid a subscription of one penny a week to use the facilities.
The 1947 map (revised 1939) is the only one that shows the complex to its full extent, with a pavilion in the centre. Earlier and later maps show it as empty fields. Aerial photography from 1958 shows the site as disused, with trees and hedgerows outlining each tennis court but clearly disused.
Eldon was declared a Category D village, and as a result much of the village was demolished or left in poor condition.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by