top of page
og1.png

ec01

Football

Easington Colliery Welfare Grounds

54.784492, -1.327200

Easington Colliery

Opened:

1929

Closed:

Open

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

11 Aug 2022

Easington Colliery AFC

HER Description

NEHL - Easington Colliery opened a recreational ground in 1929 for use of their workers and families. There were two grounds for football in total, as well as a cricket ground, 3 tennis grounds and 2 bowling greens. Ramsay Macdonald officially opened the football field in September 1929 with councillors Joseph H. Blackwell and George W. Bloomfield of the Seaham Divisional Labour Party.

The recreational ground is still open though facilities have been reduced. Couslaw Holes Quarry also stood in the northern half of the grounds. Easington Colliery AFC still play at the football ground on the southern end of the park.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1967

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Ramsay Macdonald opening the Easington Colliery Welfare Ground in September 1929. Source: Sunderland Daily Echo via the British Newspaper Archive

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Ramsay Macdonald at the ground with Joseph H Blackwell and George W Bloomfield of the Seaham Labour Party. Source: Sunderland Daily Echo via the British Newspaper Archive

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page