top of page
og1.png

ea03

Golf

Cotham Stob, Golf Course

54.539446, -1.382567

Eaglescliffe

Opened:

1914

Closed:

1927

Reclaimed

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

20 Mar 2023

Eaglescliffe and District Golf Club (1914 - 1927)

HER Description

NEHL - A nine hole golf course was opened at Cotham Stob Farm just before the First World War, with the land acquired in March of that year. It was opened for the Eaglescliffe and District Golf Club, with a Newcastle Journal piece from 1914 stating it was only "quarter of an hour's walk" from Eaglescliffe station and accessible from Yarm, Hartburn and Stockton.

The report also states a clubhouse was expected to be constructed and already 80 men and 50 women had promised their membership.

The course closed in 1927 with the opening of a newer course near Eaglescliffe.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page