top of page



Willington, Cricket Ground

54.711641, -1.682213







Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

11 Jun 2024

Willington CC

HER Description

NEHL - The Willington Cricket Club ground on the north east edge of the town opened in the 1890s, with evidence on the 1890s Ordnance Survey map shown with a pavilion on the north west corner albeit unlabelled. It was connected by footpath between the Black Horse Inn and a footpath to Brancepeth Colliery.

The first mentions of Willington CC are in 1897 (Not to be confused with Willington Rosehill on North Tyneside). The first match reported was in July, with a match between Willington and Sherburn, with entertainment provided by the Willington Silver Band. Quoits and a bicycle race was also held as part of the festival. The club continued playing against local teams such as Crook, Chilton Moor and Barnard Castle.

The ground remained unchanged until around the 1930s, when the pavilion was entirely rebuilt in the same position, at this time a T shaped building presumably featuring a home and away changing room. I'm not sure if this is the same pavilion today, however it retains a similar shape with the ground now surrounded on 3 sides by housing.

Willington CC continue to play in the North East Premier League alongside teams like Seaham Park, Hetton Lyons an Shotley Bridge.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1897

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The cricket ground can be seen in the right of this aerial shot from the 1940s. Source: Historic England Archive (RAF photography) raf_541_24_rp_3059 flown 16 May 1948

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Photograph of the Willington team in 1922, when they were champions of the Wear Valley Cricket League. Source: Durham Council

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 


Historic Maps provided by

bottom of page