top of page
og1.png

du07

Greyhound, Athletics, Football

Holiday Park

54.780675, -1.576789

Durham

Opened:

1910s

Closed:

1961

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

14 Oct 2022

Durham City FC

HER Description

NEHL - From the circa 1910s, an area on the Durham Waterside was constructed as a running track - not the oval kind but a long rectangular strip for sprint racing, similar to a 100m track you would expect. There were little facilities at this point as was bundled between industry. Previous to becoming a running track a coal depot and small tramway could be found here which led to Durham Main Colliery.

The site was transformed in 1923 to accommodate Durham City FC. They were founded in 1918 and first competed in the Victory League and the North Eastern League. Originally, they had played at Garden House Park, before moving to Kepier Haughs in 1920 and later Holiday Park. By the time they moved to Holiday Park they were in the Third Division North, alongside teams such as Darlington, Stalybridge and Chesterfield.

Football continued here up until 1938 when greyhound racing was introduced at the ground. There must have been a year when both sports attempted to use the ground simultaneously, but unfortunately it didn't seem to work. As a result Holiday Park became a sole greyhound track. Durham City FC reformed in the 40s and played at Ferens Park.

The Greyhound track was independent rather than licensed, and continued operating until 1961. The ground can be seen on aerial photography a couple of years before racing commenced. Stands are visible as well as a track around the field - this may be a running track.

Post war, meetings were staged on Monday evenings and Saturday afternoon, however by the early 60s plans were announced to construct the engineering HQ for the North Eastern Electricity Board. As a result, the last race took place on 04/09/61. It later became the Raddison Blu hotel.

Holiday Park was named after the Aldernman T W Holiday, the towns mayor in the 20s.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1947

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Holiday Park can be seen in the bottom left next to the gasometer. Source: Historic England Archive (RAF photography) Historic England Photograph: RAF_CPE_UK_2352_RP_3449 flown 04/10/1947

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page