Tennis, Bowls, Athletics
6 Oct 2022
NEHL - A bowling green stood in the grounds of the Old Durham gardens before 1857 and until the 1890s. Old Durham had enjoyed considerable success as a public resort. A nursery, public garden and a music venue were found here from the mid 18th century. A public house, "The Pineapple Inn" was established in the early 19th century which supported the recreational activities which occurred here. One of which led to the construction of an early bowling green - one of the first in the area.
It continued to be developed as a pleasure ground for locals through the 1920s and 30s. Tennis courts, a putting green, running track and tea garden were also established.
Sadly the "resort" declined slowly through the 20s to 40s. The Pineapple lost its licence in 1926 due to an unfavourable reputation, though many still visited for weekend dances. Just after WWII dances declined and in 1949 the site was sold and slipped into disrepair.
The area was rejuvenated in 1985 with the purchase of Old Durham by the council, who began restoring and conserving the area.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by