top of page


Football, Tennis, Bowls, Athletics, Cricket

Dawdon Welfare Park

54.825395, -1.331750







Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

5 Jan 2024

Dawdon CC, Dawdon Colliery CC. Dawdon Bowls Club, Dawdon CW, Dawdon AFC, Dawdon FC

HER Description

NEHL - Dawdon Welfare Park was opened in 1920, with the pavilion opened by the Marquis and Marchioness of Londonderry in August. It's likely the grounds opened shortly before. The Lord gifted the grounds to the pitmen who worked in his colliery at Dawdon and in the whole provided baths, a football ground, cricket ground, bowling greens, tennis courts and a running track as well as a childrens playground and bandstand. That's not to say demonstrations took place there too...

They can all be seen on the Ordnance Survey surveyed in 1939. The Dawdon Cricket Club and Football Club were both tenants with the same leadership in Mr Thomas Davison. He was an official at Dawdon Colliery and was Vice President of both clubs, and died in 1932. There was also a Dawdon Colliery Cricket Club, whose patron was the Marquess of Londonderry.

The football ground was added in 1930 at the same time as the suspension bridge costing £3000, with £18000 spent on the park altogether by this time. Dawdon Football Club (or Dawdon Colliery Recreation Association Football Club as it was also known) operated from 1930 and played in the Wearside League alongside a reserve team in the Seaham and DIstrict League. At least two other clubs played here - Dawdon CW and Dawdon AFC, who both amalgamated in 1939 due to financial difficulties. They were also to compete in the Wearside League, so it can be safely assumed they all absorbed into each other.

In respects of bowls, Dawdon Bowling Club (otherwise known as Dawdon Colliery Recreation Bowling Club) also used the site. There were two greens with its own pavilion. Carnivals were often held at the green, with a special bowls tournament held for this. They were affiliated and played in Durham County Association competitions.

The grounds still remain and appear to be in excellent condition.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 


Historic Maps provided by

bottom of page