top of page
og1.png

da05

Cock Fighting

Three Tuns Inn

54.526744, -1.554444

Darlington

Opened:

Closed:

1960s

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

27 Sept 2022

HER Description

NEHL - Darlington's 'premier' cock fighting pit was situated at the Three Tuns Inn at Northgate, close to Crown Street. They are known to have been held in the 1770s, when a cockfight was held there "for the benefit of Oswald Robinson". The Three Tuns was rebuilt in 1845 and demolished in the 1960s.

Ordnance Survey

The Three Tuns Inn is the Inn illustrated on North Gate. Ordnance Survey, 1898

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The 2nd iteration of the Three Tuns in 1907. Source: Northern Echo

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page