25 Jul 2022
Darlington Cricket Club (1886 -), Durham CCC, Darlington FC (1883 - 2003)
Darlington Cricket Club established a ground at Feethams in 1863 after they were given notice to quit their Park Street ground, a short distance to the north-east (H47410) (1). By the 1890s a pavilion and terrace had been added at the north-west corner of the ground (2).
NEHL - It is noteworthy that Darlington FC also played at the southern end of the site until 2003. At this point, they moved into the area on the edge of the town. Earlier in its history, the football club and cricket club played on the same stretch of pitch, which featured two grand stands on its south west end and its northernmost perimeter. Amateur football had been played on this site before cricket from the 1860s. Darlington CC moved from Park Place near Bank Top station in 1886 while the professional Darlington FC commenced from 1883.
Ordnance Survey, 1898
Aerial shot of Feethams from 1992. Source: Historic England, EAC615726
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Feethams prior to construction of the ring road, so likely 50s. Unknown Source.
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.