top of page
og1.png

cou01

Greyhound

Coundon Greyhound Stadium

54.661836, -1.639562

Coundon

Opened:

1936

Closed:

1970

Reclaimed

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

16 Sept 2022

HER Description

NEHL - Whippet racing commenced on this site, when miners from nearby Bishops Park Colliery established a small circuit close to the pit. With the growth of greyhound racing in the North East, the landowner established a permanent track in the 1930s and successfully obtained a license in 1938.

The track continued to hold meetings through the Second World War also, with races running during daylight hours.

Through the 1960s the site's popularity dwindled thanks to bad practice and publicity. A local business bought the track in efforts to renew its peak days but lack of funds meant the track closed in 1970. The track bed is now grazing land, though some buildings and kennels remain as storage on the farm that has taken its place.

The course of the track can still be faintly seen on satellite imagery.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page