top of page
og1.png

coc01

Cricket, Athletics, Quoits

Cocken Lane, Cricket Ground

54.820501, -1.532167

Cocken

Opened:

1857

Closed:

1911

Reclaimed

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

6 Dec 2022

Leamside St. Mary's (1857 - 1911)

HER Description

NEHL - Leamside St. Marys Cricket and Athletic Club played on this field between the 1850s and 1910s. Though maps from the era do not illustrate this, contemporary evidence from newspapers report on the annual Leamside festival at the cricket field on Cocken Lane through the 1880s. Athletics, quoits and cricket games took place, as well as the band for the 2nd Durham (Rainton) Artillery Volunteers being present.

The team was dissolved in 1911 and the cricket field likely turned back to farmland quickly after, especially with the onset of WWI.

Thanks to East Rainton CC on Twitter for the tip off.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page