top of page
og1.png

co06

Golf

Consett & District Golf Course

54.863724, -1.835150

Consett

Opened:

1911

Closed:

Open

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

31 Jul 2023

Consett and District Golf Club

HER Description

NEHL - The Consett & District Golf Club formed in 1911, boasting a membership of 150 from its outset. It had laid out an "excellent course, commanding a fine view of the countryside right over the Derwent Vale into Northumberland". The land was acquired from the Consett Iron Co. on the Elm Park and Berry Edge estates, and had an entrance close to Blackhill Station.

The course originally had nine holes, and utilised Tower Cottage as its temporary club house, though this later moved to several locations. The first was about 200m south of Tinklerhill Gill on the historic footpath to Shotley Bridge, but later moved to its current location.

Though opening in 1911, it was redesigned by Harry Vardon, a well known professional golfer, a few years later.

The club is still open today, utilising land up to Elm Park Road for a 18 hole course.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page