top of page
og1.png

co05

Golf

Vale of Derwent Golf Club

54.859131, -1.839561

Consett

Opened:

1894

Closed:

1890s

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

31 Jul 2023

Vale of Derwent Golf Club

HER Description

NEHL - A golf club was situated just north of Consett from 1894 and closed within the same decade. The club is reported on in the Newcastle Journal of 1894, with Dr Renton its president. The course comprised of two fields at Billy Goat Farm, Blackfine and another on the Benfieldside Edge Farm estate. Upon formation, the club had 50 members.

It appears the club may have had a small club house just off Dixon Street as per the illustration on 1890s Ordnance Survey maps. This did not last long though, as allotment gardens were built on the side in the 1910s.

Little else is known about the club, as no further newspaper reports tell its story. Financial issues may have meant the club were dissolved quickly.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page