top of page
og1.png

co04

Cricket

Blackhill Park, Cricket Ground

54.857896, -1.840925

Consett

Opened:

1867

Closed:

1890

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

1 Sept 2022

Benfieldside CC, Consett CC

HER Description

NEHL - The predecessor to Consett CC, Benfieldside CC, formed in 1867 and utilised vacant land on the present day Consett Park. In the 1870s it was known as Benfieldside Cricket Ground as per contemporary articles from 1874, where athletics events were held to fundraise for the cricket club. Hurdles, "bycicle races", "throwing the cricket ball" and sack races took place, with bats and pocket knives being the prizes.

Benfieldside faced opposition such as Blanchland CC and Hexham until they reformed as Consett & District CC in 1876 and later moved to Hope Street.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page