top of page
og1.png

co02

Horse

Consett Racecourse

54.839925, -1.810641

Consett

Opened:

1863

Closed:

19th c

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

28 Jul 2023

HER Description

NEHL - A racecourse was found on the outskirts on Consett from the 1860s until at least the 1890s. It was situated at Carribees farm, a small outpost on Delves Lane (a section of the lane is still called Carribees). Greyhoundderby.com cites a first racecourse skirting the Stockton & Darlington Railway, though it is hard to support this through contemporary maps. Races continued until the 1890s, with the Newcastle Journal reporting on an important race at the "Carribees Course" with a large muster of spectators. It is unlikely the course lasted into the 20th century, and regular meetings were likely to have ceased by this point also.

The 1890s Ordnance Survey map does not explicitly show a racecourse, though there is a site of interest near Carribees plantation with a small building and what looks like a small fenced lane where Douai Drive is today.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Site of Consett racecourse in 2023

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page