top of page
og1.png

co01

Football

Vicarage Field Football Ground

54.853285, -1.842750

Consett

Opened:

1899

Closed:

1948

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

25 Aug 2022

Consett AFC (1899 - 1948)

HER Description

NEHL - Consett's first football ground was located on the vicarage field, just south west of the vicarage itself, from 1899. 4 years earlier when the 25 inch Ordnance Survey was illustrated, it was open moorland and even by the 1910s football was still played on an open field here. However, around the 1930s a small stand was constructed with an army hut used for changing rooms.

As the steelworks expanded, unfortunately Consett AFC had to move their home ground to Eden Colliery Welfare's Leadgate ground making Ashdale Road their home. Belle Vue Park was used until 2013 when they then moved to Delves Lane.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey. 1948

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Consett Steelworks. The Vicarage Field ground can be seen just under the allotments north of this aerial shot. Source: Historic England Photograph: EPW026588 flown 01/05/1929

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page