top of page
og1.png

cg03

Cricket

Craghead, 2nd Cricket Ground

54.850536, -1.668656

Craghead

Opened:

1939

Closed:

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

26 Sept 2022

Craghead CC

HER Description

NEHL - Craghead CC moved to this location from Wagtail Lane due to expanding colliery activity in 1939, with the turf moving with it. It is noted as being between the pit head baths and church, so the location is most certainly adjacent to St Thomas' Church. The cricket ground is shown on a later map published 1967, complete with a pavilion on the north west corner. The ground is now a recreational area and football court.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1967

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Craghead CC, undated. St Thomas' Church can be seen in the background, so this corner was taken close to the pavilion. Unknown Source.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page