top of page
og1.png

bran02

Bowls, Football, Tennis

Brandon Welfare Ground

54.755955, -1.630559

Brandon

Opened:

1930s?

Closed:

Open

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

9 Feb 2023

Brandon Welfare, Rostrons, Brandon United

HER Description

NEHL - Brandon Welfare Ground was initially constructed around the 1930s for the betterment of the miners of the Brandon Colliery and their families. The 1930s Ordnance Survey map depicts a football ground, two bowling greens (with possible provision for quoits) and 3 tennis courts. The football ground was pre-existing, having been the home ground of Brandon Institute previously.

The land on the east of the site was later developed as the home of Brandon United, a works team set up from a waste paper company in 1968. They joined Division 3 of the Durham & District Sunday, though became part of the Northern Alliance in the 70s. With this, they were eligible to play in the FA Cup, drawing against Bradford City and Doncaster Rovers in later years.

Brandon Welfare also hosted games here in the 1930s.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page