top of page
og1.png

bol02

Bowls

Sunderland Road, Bowling Green

54.943277, -1.417779

East Boldon

Opened:

1926

Closed:

20th c

Repurposed

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

9 Jan 2024

Boldon Bowling Club

HER Description

NEHL - The green of Boldon Bowling Club opened in 1926 in front of a large gathering, with Mr D S Jones, president, and Mr R H Foster the Captain playing against each other. For its opening a small pavilion and brand new green was constructed adjacent to the Sunderland Road Cricket Ground.

They first played Wednesday matches in the Sunderland and District League, as well as competitively for the Clarkson Cup. In their first season 25 matches were played with 12 won, 12 lost and 1 drawn, finishing midway in the table.

The green is still extant, but is used as a workshop or storage and henceforth not used.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1946

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Boldon in 1946, with the bowling green on the left. Sunderland Road cuts over the whole photograph. Source: Historic England Archive (RAF photography) Historic England Photograph: raf_106g_uk_1193_rs_4364 flown 27/02/1946

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page