top of page


Greyhound, Football, Rugby, Athletics

White City Stadium

54.964572, -1.690109








Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

15 Dec 2022

Blaydon Harriers (1951-52)

HER Description

NEHL - Built in 1937, a greyhound stadium named White City was constructed just south of the Chain Bridge. At this time there were five venues to choose from - Brough Park, Gosforth Park, South Shields, and Redheugh Park. With greyhound racing being an incredibly popular sport at time among the working classes, it was financially reasonable to expect the stadium to be successful.

The stadium was built to host other events too. Contemporary newspaper documents cite floodlight baseball at night (though can't confirm if this went ahead), Rugby Union and Athletics. An interational womens football match all took place here on June 11th 1938 - Darlington Quaker Girls (the North East Champions) v Edinburgh City Girls Club (winners of the Scottish League Championship Cup).

The White City Stadium staged its first meeting in 1937, attracting a crowd of around 10,000.

Despite the numerous greyhound tracks on Tyneside, the ground was successful and receiving takings beyond £1 million every year up until 1947. Gambling restrictions stunted growth, and new tax rates caused a setback further. The last meeting took place in 1951, some 14 years after the first race.

Blaydon Harriers took over the stadium, replacing the dog track with an athletics track, however it ultimately failed and the total closure of the venue occurred in 1952.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1957 (surveyed between 1950 and 56)

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Blaydon Haughs, Chain Bridge Road and White City Stadium in 1950 At this point, the ground was 2 years from closure. Source: © Historic England. Aerofilms Collection Historic England Photograph: EAW033901 flown 19/10/1950

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Another view from the same day of White City Stadium. The kennels look beyond use at this point, and the ground was close to being converted to an athletics track. Source: © Historic England. Aerofilms Collection Historic England Photograph: EAW033900 flown 19/10/1950

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 


Historic Maps provided by

bottom of page