top of page
og1.png

berw11

Shooting

Town Walls Rifle Range

55.771420, -1.998634

Berwick

Opened:

Unknown

Closed:

c1970s

Reclaimed

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

25 Nov 2025

HER Description

A rifle range near Magdalen Fields was established around the turn of the century.. The first mention of the range is in the Alnwick Guardian, when Earl Percy looked to acquire land with the approval of the War Office. I assume this is partly due to regulations but also as it was site was close to military land but owned by the Earl. It was opened in June 1900, as the "new rifle range" is reported on in the Illustrated Berwick Journal at a length of 500 yards. It was opened in showery weather in the presence of a large number of military and civilians. A match was held between the KOSB depot, the Berwick Volunteer Artillery and the Berwick Rifles.

The site closed only 7 years later, which caused a "serious handicap" to the members of the auxiliary forces in the borough". A new site was established in the north of the town in 1914, with 8 targets at Brotherstons Hole. The scheme included butts at each 100 yards and one machine gun with grounds of about 50 acres. The architects of this site were Messrs Graham and Hill of Newcastle, with the contractors Messrs Gray and Sons.

At some stage, though unclear, a rifle range was constructed on the town walls and was extant well into the 60s. This one does appear to be in use by volunteers as is mentioned alongside the tennis and crickets clubs of the town. The MOD do appear to have retained ownership of the land, made clear in the Berwick Advertiser as Berwick Bowling Club were interested in leasing it. A Berwick Rifle Club is referenced in 1971, partaking in the regional Border Rifle League.

Though the boundary of the range is extant, there are no remaining buildings. They were likely cleared in the last half century.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1962

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The rifle range in 1951, snugly fitted between the bastion walls. Source: Historic England Archive (RAF photography) raf_540_611_rp_3345 flown 9 October 1951

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

​

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page