berw10
Bowls
Tweedmouth Bowling Club
55.769722, -2.011853
Tweedmouth
Opened:
1934
Closed:
Open
Condition:
Home Teams/Clubs:
Last Updated:
25 Nov 2025
Tweedmouth Bowling Club
HER Description
Tweedmouth Bowling Club was first envisioned in the late 1920s, but came to fruition in the early 30s. A site was chosen in September 1933 "between Riverside Road and the banks of the Tweed...a more ideal spot for enjoying the sunshine could hardly have been selected". Money was raised through fetes and dances to both landscape the green and erect a new pavilion on the "most up-to-date lines" with a ladies and gents cloakroom, lighted by electricity also.
The final opening was in the May of 1934 with the first bowl played by Mr J Riddell, a prominent figure in the town and an esteemed member of Berwick Bowling Club. The site was built by Mr H Bowers of Tweedmouth also. The club most often played between themselves, but also intr-Berwick between Spittal and Berwick itself.
The original pavilion is still extant, behind the newer construction which was first mooted in the late 60s but was opened in 1970. It was opened by Mr John W Coxon, the clubs Honorary President who was also superintendent of Police at Berwick. The first pavilion still features the initials above the door alongside that recognisable borders stone banding around the elevations, and is used for changing and storage.
Despite some turbulent years with limited members (with John Straughan quoting as low as 38 in the 60s) it improved to around 70 by the early 70s. It is still going strong today, and to top it off a beautiful scene is pictured on Google Street View from 2022, with a group playing with the Royal Tweed Bridge as its backdrop.

Ordnance Survey, 1963
The club and green between the Border Bridge and Tweed Bridge in 1952.
Source: © Historic England. Aerofilms Collection EAW046008 flown 14 August 1952
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
The official opening in May 1934. Clipping courtesy of the Illustrated Berwick Journal, 24/05/34
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by


