top of page
og1.png

bea01

Golf

Beamish, Golf Course

54.883843, -1.657959

Beamish

Opened:

1904

Closed:

1940

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

16 Feb 2023

Beamish and District Golf Club

HER Description

NEHL - Part of Beamish Museum was previously a 12 hole golf course, established in the mid 1900s by the Beamish and District Golf Club as a 9 hole course which was extended to 12 holes in the 30s. Membership in 1913 had extended to 60, with the secretary being Mr G L Wilson. However by 1914, membership had swelled to 1915.

An auction took place in 1942 with Beamish Golf Club selling all its assets, including equipment, furnishings, kitchen furniture and utensils. This is as well as a number of buildings including the clubhouse, locker rooms, an iron hut and wood hut.

The course is labelled on the 1919 Ordnance Survey map, though illustrates a little apart from a single bunker and a collection of small buildings.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1919

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

View of Beamish golf course in the 1930s, appearing to look towards Beamish Hall. Source: golfsmissinglinks.co.uk

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page