Bishop Auckland Racecourse
18 Aug 2022
NEHL - There was a horse racecourse outside Bishop Auckland between the mid 17th century and 1863. It stood at Hunwick Moor where the railway station is now located, and was one of the largest in the area. 4 day meetings took place each April in the early 1700s thanks to its growing popularity. It further extended through the first half of the century and started declined in the 1750s. From there the landed classes found the races "unfavourable" and looked elsewhere. By 1819, the races ceased for good until an attempted revival in 1863. It was unsuccessful.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by