top of page
og1.png

ba01

Cricket, Rugby, Football

Kingsway

54.662044, -1.673125

Bishop Auckland

Opened:

1853

Closed:

Open

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

8 Aug 2022

Bishop Auckland CC, Bishop Auckland FC

HER Description

NEHL - Though cricket has been played in Bishop Auckland was played long before 1853, this is the date given to the formation of Bishop Auckland CC. They informally played on stretches of the field in its first decade, relocating along the field wherever was most suitable to play. Eventually they remained in the spot which still remains next to the King James School.

A grand stand and pavilion original stood on the north and south ends respectively. Both have been demolished in favour of larger complexes presumably associated with the school.

Bishop Auckland CC left this ground in 1908, obtaining a 999 year lease to play at Kingsway, their present ground.

A contemporary newspaper piece from 1875 shoes the ground was used for Rugby on at least one occasion. The match was between Northumberland and Barnard Castle and had a large attendance - Northumberland won the match with 3 goals and one try to nothing.

Kingsway was also the home of Bishop Auckland Football Club until their move out of the town centre.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

South Church Road, 1984. Source: EAC463472, Historic England

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page