top of page



Annfield Plain, Golf Course

54.867355, -1.764890

Annfield Plain







Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

24 Feb 2023

Annfield Plain Golf Club

HER Description

NEHL - A full 18 hole golf course was established around Pontop Pike Lane in 1907, though was later reduced to 9 holes with each one extended. It appears to have reduced before WWI, but extended to 12 holes in the late 1920s. The club was opened by a Mr J Burgoyne Johnson of Greencroft Park, who was the president of Annfield Plain Golf Club.

The holes were named as per a report in the Chronicle of May 1908. The names are - Spion Kop, Success, Pike, Pike Lane, Fort Arthur, The Copse, the Moor, the Pond and the Camp. They appear to either be named by local features such as the old Success coal pit and a nearby pond, or military history. Spion Kop was the site of a battle during the Boer War of 1900, and is the reason why many football stands are named so due to their steep nature.

The club house stood to the eastern extremity of the course here - 54.864195, -1.758607.

If you wish to read about this course in further detail, visit

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1921

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Postcard of the club house at Annfield Plain. The golf house on the Ordnance Survey appears to be entirely different from this one, which does raise questions. However, it may be the case it was rebuilt in a different location before closure, depending on the date of this postcard. Source: Unknown, shared by Rob Langham and Raines Antiques on the Consett & District Heritage Initiative on Facebook

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 


Historic Maps provided by

bottom of page