top of page
og1.png

ahil01

Tennis

Westgate Road Nurses Home, Tennis Courts

54.973223, -1.645685

Arthurs Hill

Opened:

1928

Closed:

20th c

Disused

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

15 Dec 2023

HER Description

NEHL - Tennis courts were once situated in the grounds of Westgate Road Nurses Home. It opened in 1928 (Read more here -https://www.northeastheritagelibrary.co.uk/features/westgate-road-nurses-home) to accommodate nurses working at the hospital over the road.

The tennis courts were build to provide recreation to those on their time off, as well as the small recreation area between here and the building itself.

The tennis courts still exist in some form - the markings can be seen on a playing surface, though clearly have not been used for some years. The nurses home went on to become a hostel which is likely when the surface was re-laid. It isn't known whether it will be refurbished in the mooted housing project.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page