Quoits, Bowls, Tennis
Nuns Moor Park
21 Jun 2022
Nunsmoor Park is an area of approximately 25 acres. It was once part of Nuns Moor (HER 1357), an area which received its name when it was owned by the church and confirmed to the nuns of St Mary and St Bartholomew. Later the land was given to the Freemen of the City as grazing land, and bought by the Newcastle Corporation in 1651. Nunsmoor Park was developed in 1887. There is a lodge at the south gates and bowling green, tennis courts, bandstands, a play area and Birdcage Walk can be found within the park grounds.
NEHL - Documentary evidence shows there was a Quoits Ground in the northernmost section of the park.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by