og1.png

8810

Tennis

Jesmond Racquet Court

55.000521, -1.605561

Jesmond, Newcastle

Opened:

19th c

Closed:

Open

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

4 Jul 2022

HER Description

Real tennis court and house, now badminton and real tennis club;by F.W. Rich for Sir Andrew Noble. Flemish garden wall bond brick with ashlar and terracotta dressings; roof of plain tiles with terracotta gable copings; lead turret roofs. One high storey, 8 bays and 2-storey ninth bay. Pent entrance extension on right return; low 4-bay pent front extension. South elevation: large round windows, with pivoted central section and metal glazing bars, in keyed ashlar and terracotta surrounds; bays defined by buttresses. Ninth bay has upper 4-light stone-mullioned window. Pentice in front of 4 right bays has sash windows, tripartite in gabled alternate bays. Tall octagonal corner turrets have terracotta strings; cornices and high domes with ball finials. Right return entrance porch has arts-and-crafts Gothic style ornament above elliptical open arch; parapet with high spike finials. Wood gallery on rear.

NEHL - For more information and a comprehensive history of the site, visit https://jdrtc.co.uk/our-history/

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Real Tennis courts in 1894. Source: jdrtc.co.uk

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Plan of the grounds from 1892. Source: jdrtc.co.uk

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png