Chirton, North Tyneside
5 Jul 2022
North Shields Athletic (1900), Preston Colliery FC (1920s), North Shields FC (1928)
An oval cycling track, on the site of Preston Colliery (HER 2006). The site is not on the 1st edition OS so was built after 1858. In 1900 North Shields Athletic Football Club took over the cycling track. In the 1920s Preston Colliery FC took over. They were renamed North Shields FC in 1928. A local derby against South Shields in 1936 attracted a crowd of 12,800. North Shields won the FA Amateur Cup in 1969. During the 1970s the club fell into debt. The ground was also damaged by mining subsidence. In 1992 the ground was sold. The housing estate on the site included a street called Appleby Park. The club moved to Ralph Gardner Park on Silkeys Lane.
Ordnance Survey, 1890s
Appleby Park in the 1970s. Source: Chronicle
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.