og1.png

17075

Swimming

Montagu Baths

54.998500, -1.660656

Cowgate, Newcastle

Opened:

1964

Closed:

2009

Reclaimed

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

27 Jun 2022

HER Description

Newcastle's first post war swimming pool. Designed by Cackett, Burns Dick and Mackellar and City Architect George Kenyon. It opened in May 1964. The pool was 110 feet x 42 feet. It was overlooked by seating with glazed screen ends and side windows. Overhead lighting was recessed in a false ceiling. Pop Art inspired tiling surrounded the pool. At the deep end there was a cantilevered reinforced concrete 5m diving board. There was a public laundry in the basement. Demolished in 2009.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Montagu Swimming Baths, 1964. Source: Chronicle

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png