og1.png

17003

Bowls

Headlam Green, Bowling Green

54.973984, -1.573747

Byker, Newcastle

Opened:

1920s

Closed:

Unknown

Repurposed

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

30 Jun 2022

HER Description

Opened in the 1920s in Byker Park. Had a pavilion on the north side of the green. The bowling green was retained as part of Ralph Erskine's Byker Estate redevelopment 1970-81. The surrounding sheltered housing was built at Headlam Green in 1976-8. A new but traditionally designed pavilion was built on the west side of the green. The pavilion is mentioned in the listed building description for 1-42 Headlam Green. "Bowling house in centre of green of exposed timber framing with eternit panels and tiled roof over prominent eaves, set against low stone wall surviving from earlier development. Two small gables to green, with small benches. Green fences to rest of green".

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png