top of page
og1.png

16968

Football, Greyhound

Redheugh Park

54.952594, -1.630697

Gateshead

Opened:

1930

Closed:

1973

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

21 Jul 2022

Gateshead FC (1930 - 1971)

HER Description

In March 1930 South Shields Adelaide Association Football Club relocated from Horsley Hill to Redheugh Park in Gateshead. The club was thus renamed Gateshead FC. In 1937 a greyhound company became a co-tenant of Redheugh Park and the stadium was revamped. A Gateshead League match attracted 20,752 spectators. On 28 May 1960, Gateshead were voted out of the League. Greyhound racing finished in 1966. In 1971 the non-League football club moved to Gateshead International Stadium. In 1973 the stadium was demolished. Today part of the site is occupied by a Powerleague five-a-side football centre.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1947

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Redheugh Park, 1970. Unknown Source

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Redheugh Park, undated. Unknown Source.

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page