Athletics, Greyhound, Quoits, Shooting
1 Jul 2022
Laid out in 1863. The ground had a running track almost 600 yards long. Dog racing was also offered along with rabbit coursing, quoits and pigeon shooting. Fenham Park Grounds closed in 1875.
NEHL - Contemporary newspapers show running races and pigeon racing took place on the park grounds. They were widely advertised in national newspapers including Sporting Life, and attracted paying visitors for both. An excerpt from the 1869 Newcastle Journal can be seen on Twitter, courtest of @Davefromupnorth (https://twitter.com/DaveFromUpNorth/status/1542782669473423362?s=20&t=uMUNoyjQQQoPiQVI6mKTYw)
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.